Believe in yourself
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frighten us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be?” ~ Marianne Williamson
The saying that you have to believe in yourself if you want to succeed in life has somehow become a cliché. It could be hard to comprehend this statement if all you’ve ever known is criticisms, doubts, fear, and failure.
For someone that has always operated from a safe distance, and scared to showcase his talents and expertise, it was hard for me to comprehend this statement until I joined toastmasters, and also started my coaching and consulting business.
Getting clients on the onset was hard not because I didn’t know what to do or how to look for clients, my problem was lack of belief in myself and my ability. I used to question myself negatively and try to justify why I’m not ready to be a consultant or a coach. But the truth was that I was very much qualified – I had my master’s degree, some certifications, experience, and a lot of leadership training to my name. But all the degrees, and qualifications didn’t do a thing for me, instead, it made me more insecure and I always sort for more qualifications and certifications.
Everything changed for me when I transcended my limiting beliefs about myself and my abilities. It became truly clear to me that I could do whatever I set my mind to, and all I had to do was believe in myself.
In this article, I’ll share with you Tips that’ll Help you to Believe in yourself.
Tips to Help You Believe in Yourself
Acceptance is to make peace with yourself and your current situation. It’s the mechanism that births progress and innovation. Being in denial of your current state will only add to your insecurities, and people who are insecure always hide within the shells of their limiting beliefs.
Become aware of your thoughts, and how you react to opportunities and situations you perceive to be a challenge. When you do that, you’ll notice how your mind operates and how it plays tricks on you and make you feel intimidated and scared.
2. Change your Perception About Yourself
“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” ~Thomas Jefferson
Perception is everything in life, and it is one of the fundamental factors that determine how you see and treat yourself. If you perceive yourself to be a failure, not good enough or not worthy enough, chances are high you’ll act that way. You’ll find ways to avoid the things that’ll validate how you perceive yourself.
On the other hand, if you see yourself as confident, vibrant, enthusiastic, and successful, you’ll act accordingly. You’ll love to take on challenges and go after what you want in life because you understand that you’re as worthy as everyone else.
3. Challenge Your Negative Thoughts
“Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.” ~T. Harv Eker
How you think about yourself determines how you behave and carry yourself. If you think you’re a loser or not qualified enough, you’ll definitely act accordingly.
We all have fears and negative thought patterns but what separates the successful from unsuccessful people is, successful people never allow their thoughts to control them.
Monitor your thoughts, and ensure to eliminate or replace any negative thought(s).
4. One Step at a Time
It can be quite intimidating to go after what we want especially if it’s a goal that is big. Everyone experiences fear and doubts, and it is the reason why a lot of people never get to start anything worthwhile. To address this problem, it is advisable to start small and over time, you’d build on your small wins. Once you believe in yourself, the small wins are what will propel you to go for bigger goals.
5. Start where you are
“Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles, and less than perfect conditions. So what? Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident, and more and more successful.” ~ Mark Victor Hansen
The reason why most people never get to do anything tangible is because of either fear of making a mistake, or the need for perfection. The latter seems to be prevalent amongst experts and people who are educated.
You need to understand that there’s no such thing as right or wrong moment. You either make it right or you don’t.
If you feel you don’t have the necessary skill or what it takes to achieve the result you desire, just start where you are. As you gain traction, you’ll discover more ways to improve and be better equipped.
6. Understand that Failure Is Part of Success
Don’t be afraid to fail. Failure is a necessary part of the success and there’s no enduring success without failure.
Give yourself permission to fail, explore, and learn new ways of doing things.
Change your perspective about failure and reframe failure as a learning process to success.
7. Never Compare Yourself to Others
To achieve confidence in yourself require that you judge yourself based on who you were previously and against anyone else. The best way to eliminate comparison is to develop a growth mindset.
39 Motivational Quotes that Will Inspire you to believe in Yourself
- “The way to develop self-confidence is to do the thing you fear and get a record of successful experiences behind you.” ~ William Jennings Bryan
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
- “Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.” ~ Peter T. McIntyre
- “The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself, in spite of being unacceptable.” ~ Paul Tillich
- “If we all did the things, we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” ~ Thomas Alva Edison
- “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” ~ Brené Brown
- “Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” ~ Dr. Benjamin Spock
- “You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can’t have it.” ~ Dr. Robert Anthony
- “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~ Sir Edmund Hillary
- “Always be yourself and have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and try to duplicate it.” ~ Bruce Lee
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Low self-confidence isn’t a life sentence. Self-confidence can be learned, practiced, and mastered–just like any other skill. Once you master it, everything in your life will change for the better.” ~ Barrie Davenport
- “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” ~ E.E. Cummings
- “As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions … do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” ~ Tina Fey
- “Pride is holding your head up when everyone around you has their bow. Courage is what makes you do it.” ~ Bryce Courtenay
- “Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.” ~ Golda Meir
- “One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.“ ~ Arthur Ashe
- “It is confidence in our bodies, minds, and spirits that allows us to keep looking for new adventures.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Confidence is a habit that can be developed by acting as if you already had the confidence you desire to have.” ~ Brian Tracy
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” ~ Willie Nelson
- “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” ~ T. Harv Eker
- “To anyone that ever told you you’re no good … They’re no better.” ~ Hayley Williams
- “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” ~ Christopher Robin
- “You have no control over other people’s tastes, so focus on staying true to your own.” ~ Tim Gunn
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” ~ J.M. Barrie
- “It’s a dead-end street if you sit around waiting for someone else to tell you you’re OK.” ~ Michael Pitt
- “If you’re presenting yourself with confidence, you can pull off pretty much anything.” ~ Katy Perry
- “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
- “I’ve finally stopped running away from myself. Who else is there better to be?” ~ Goldie Hawn
- “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” ~ Rumi
- “We avoid the things that we’re afraid of because we think there will be dire consequences if we confront them. But the truly dire consequences in our lives come from avoiding things that we need to learn about or discover.” ~ Shakti Gawain
- “Persons of high self-esteem are not driven to make themselves superior to others; they do not seek to prove their value by measuring themselves against a comparative standard. Their joy is being who they are, not in being better than someone else.” ~ Nathaniel Branden
- “Tension is who you think you should be, relaxation is who you are.” ~ Chinese proverb
- “You yourself, as much as anyone in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ~ Buddha
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” ~ Helen Keller
Believe in yourself, there are no boundaries to what you can accomplish in life. Everything revolves around your mindset and how you perceive yourself.