There are many things that fascinate me about life and one of the things that puzzled me was how come few people are more successful and enjoying life while others wallow in resentments, anger, poverty, and so on.
Why few people earn more while every other person seems to just follow way behind? I thought being smart in school meant you’ll end up ultimately successful in life until I graduated with a distinction and found myself broke, resentful, and sad for a couple of years.
Having the opportunity to work with different people around the world opened my eyes to a whole new dimension of what it takes to be successful. And it made me to realize that neither school nor prayers alone can make you successful.
Success revolves around following some basic principles and having positive habits. In this post, I’ll share with you 10 habits of highly successful people. All the ideas I’ll share are practical and applicable, and all you have to do is start where you are.
Habits of Highly Successful People
1. They Read A Lot
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are some of the successful people I’ve had the opportunity to study amongst many others. Warren Buffet attributes most of his success in life to studying and he went on to suggest that if you want to succeed in life, you should “read 500 pages of books every day. That’s how knowledge works. It builds up, like compound interest. All of you can do it, but I guarantee not many of you will do it”. That is to say, he reads about things that pertain to his goals and objectives in life. He also admitted to spends about 80% of his day reading and digesting information. Bill Gates reads 50 books a year.
It’s rather unfortunate that most unsuccessful people claim they don’t have time. Imagine someone like Bill Gates consuming 50 books in a year with all his busy schedules, and charity works. What excuse do you have?
Here are five reasons why you should develop the habit of reading:
- You’re more likely to become who and what you study.
- You expand your chances of success in life.
- It develops your critical thinking capacity.
- It would inspire you to step out of your comfort zone.
- It’ll build your confidence level and also improve your self-esteem.
2. They Have Mentors
Bill Gates has Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg had Steve Jobs as a mentor, and Steve Jobs had Bill Campbell. I know you get my point now. Mentors are vital to any worthwhile accomplishments; they understand the dynamics of the path you’re about to walk. And they’ll provide you with all the tools you’ll need on your journey to self-actualization.
Reasons why you should have a mentor:
- They’ll push you out of your comfort zone.
- They will inspire you to become more.
- Mentors will help you to avoid challenges and unnecessary difficulties.
- A confidant will help reduce your stress in your life.
3. Successful People Associate with Like Minds
Birds of a feather flock together.
A key attribute of most successful people is their ability to always locate their pairs. In Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, he mentioned the need for a mastermind. That is a formation of two or more minds who have the same goal and objectives in life. When you associate with people who are successful you get creative ideas and chances are, you’ll also become either as rich as they are or even better.
Reasons why you should associate more with successful people:
- They’ll build your enthusiasm to go after what you desire in life.
- They’ll instill positive habits in you.
- You will learn their secret to success.
- Getting the opportunity to execute your business ideas becomes simple.
- You’ll become trustworthy, and passionate.
- You become more disciplined about your finance and things that matter in life.
4. They Set Goals
“If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.” —Andrew Carnegie
All successful people understand the importance of goal-setting, and they follow through on their goals. It is said that only three percent of people in the world set goals for themselves. Its no wonder why the same number of people control the wealth on earth.
Here are the reasons why you need to set goals:
- Goal setting gives you something to focus on to the exclusion of every other thing. There’s a saying that if you chase two rabbits at a time, you’ll catch no one.
- It helps you to be more disciplined and focused.
- Goals keep you motivated.
- It inspires you to achieve more once you reach your goal.
- Goal-setting gives you a purpose. “More men fail through lack of purpose than lack of talent” ~ Billy Sunday.
5. They Exercise
We all know the benefits of exercising but it rather unfortunate that most of us don’t take it seriously. Most successful people understand that to enjoy their wealth, they have to live longer and healthier. They don’t just read about the benefits of exercising as most people do, they practicalize it. They take the time to exercise at least 30 mins a day. It could be as simple as just taking a walking.
Here are the reasons why you need to exercise:
- It helps you to control your weight.
- Exercise improves your mental strength and improves your mood.
- Help keep your thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp as you age.
- Reduces your risk of cancer.
- Improves your discipline.
- It helps improve your sleep.
- It strengthens your bones and muscles.
6. They Get Enough Rest
It could be tempting to work long hours in the pursuit of our dreams and goals. But, it is medically proven that lack of sleep is bad for the body and it is a gateway to some sickness.
Sleep is necessary for keeping the body healthy and vibrant just like exercise and eating healthy.
Successful people understand this fact and they make it a habit to get at least 8 hours of sleep per day.
Here are some of the benefits of getting enough sleep:
- It improves your concentration level and increases productivity.
- It lowers your chance of getting heart disease.
- Prevent depression.
- Sleep builds your immune system.
- Lowers inflammation.
- It helps build your emotional intelligence.
7. They Have Multiple Streams of Income
Having multiple streams of income has somehow become a cliché and it’s quite unfortunate that most of us don’t have multiple streams of income.
Money is an important aspect of our everyday lives, and to deny the importance of having enough money is to live in a fool’s world.
Successful people understand that to be able to sustain their lifestyle and also contribute immensely to charity and other worthwhile outfits, they need multiple streams of income.
Here are the benefits of having multiple streams of income:
- It gives you an opportunity to do better in the world.
- Rising healthcare bills won’t be a problem for you.
- You get to afford the best for your family, friends, and even your enemies.
- You take a vacation to anywhere you want.
- It creases the opportunity for you to undertake more business projects.
8. Successful People avoid Negative People and Time Wasters
Haven’t you noticed that people who are pessimistic and negative have a way of spoiling the mood of everyone around them? They have reasons why things would never work out and they derive pleasure in seeing you remain the way you are – unsuccessful.
Successful people understand that negative energy has no correlation to growth so they avoid it like plague. That’s why they associate with only successful people, and people who are positive-minded.
Reasons to avoid negative people:
- They destroy your credibility.
- Negative people will drain you of energy.
- They hate to see your progress.
- Negative people affect your cognitive ability.
- They’ll transfer their attitude to you which is counterproductive to growth.
9. Successful People Prioritize
“It’s not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?” ~Henry David Thoreau
Priority is key to succeeding in life and in business. In Good to Great by Jim Collins, he stated that the difference between successful and unsuccessful people and companies are lack of purpose and priorities.
Every successful person understands the essence of prioritization, they understand that they can’t do everything by themselves so they prioritize. They use time blocks to avoid distractions from eating into their time.
Reasons why you should prioritize:
- It helps you to cut out distractions.
- You avoid multitasking and activities that can drain your energy.
- It helps you to focus your time on things that matter the most.
- Builds your discipline muscles.
10. They Take Action
“You cannot develop muscles by simply studying about weight lifting, you develop muscles by doing the lifting.” ~ Onuoha.
The number one habit that prevents a lot of people from being successful in life is procrastination and indecision according to Napoleon Hill (Think and Grow Rich). People who are unsuccessful in life always have great ideas and they protect their idea with their life. The problem with ideas is that it remains just an idea.
For an idea to become a reality, it has to be acted upon.
Reasons why you should take action:
- It gives you the momentum to go after your dreams and goals.
- It helps you to overcome your fears and doubts.
- You become more confident in yourself and your ability.
- You get to live your dreams.
Success is subjective and everyone has their definition of success but the basic truth is that we all want the same thing in life. That one thing is happiness.
Everything I’ve mentioned in this article is a necessity if we truly desire happiness in life. Although it can be argued, it still doesn’t make it wrong.
Take the time to evaluate yourself and see where you’re missing out. It’s never too late to set your path to success.